2008-11-29

Library Card Password

Today I went to the library and used their electronic catalogue to look up this one book, but I had a problem. So I went to the desk for help. This is what I said - see if you can understand:

"I used the computers here to try and put a hold on this one book, but after I entered my library card's bar code, the computer asked for a password. Even though I just got this new library card a couple of weeks ago, I can't remember anything about a password! So I hit the 'forgot password' button and it gave me a message that a new password has been sent to my email. But I can't log on to the internet on that computer without my library card password, so what can I do?"

That wasn't hard to follow, right?

Here is where the story gets strange:

The lady was like, "Do you have a library card?"
Uh yeah, that's the barcode I entered...
So she pulls my file up on her screen.
"Is this your phone number?"
Yes.
"Is your phone number 652?"
Yes that is my phone number, the one you are showing me on the screen.
"Is your number 2148?"
Yes, that number is my phone number!!!
"652 2148?"
Yup.
"So do you remember your password?"
No!
"You forgot your password?"
Yes.
"Do you have a password?"
I don't remember.
"It's not showing me your password, I can't see it."
Well my password is gone anyway and a new one has been sent to my email... which I can't access from those computers because only people with passwords can log on to the internet here... right?
"Do you want a new password?"
Yes.
"Do you want me to make you a new password?"
Yyyeeesss.
"Do you want me to make you a new password now?"
Yes! (Smile!)
"Ok I will use your phone number so you will remember it."
Ok.
"Ok?"
Ok.
"Is it 2148?"
Yes.
"Is your phone number 2148?"
Yes!
"Do you want your new password to be 2148?"
OK!!!!
"Your new password is 2148... all right?"
All right.
"Ok so it's 2148."
Phew.

Why did she have to ask me each question so many times? Was I really that hard to understand?

No comments: